The Herald are reporting a disturbing new ‘game’ which is interrupting YouTube clips aimed at children.

We would like to remind our community of the importance of being vigilant when children are using devices.

Please encourage your child to tell you about anything online which may be encouraging them to share their personal details or do harmful things.

Our school has procedures in place for keeping our students safe.  Students are only allowed to use pre-selected google sites and youtube clips at Torbay School.

Our network is managed by N4L The network includes internet filtering, threat protection and firewall.  Student programs are implemented to keep our students safe and learn about internet safety.

Click here for information about keeping children safe at home


Netsafe’s advice for parents about exposure to upsetting content:

  • Have a conversation with young people about what to do if they do come across upsetting content online.
  • Let your child know that they can come to you when they find something upsetting and they won’t get in trouble.
  • Stay calm if they do come to you – don’t assign blame, reassure them that it’s not their fault and don’t punish them for seeking help.
  • Normalise their feelings – let them know that it is normal to feel scared, confused or upset.
  • Don’t over-react by taking away the technology – this may make them less likely to talk to you if something else happens.
  • For young children in particular, consider using parental controls to block out specific keywords like “Momo”.
  • If you or your child comes across this type of content report it to the platform that it’s on.
  • If your child is expressing any concerning feelings, follow up with mental health support.
  • If you know that a young person has been engaging in this challenge, report it to the Police and Netsafe, and ask Lifeline for support.

Contact Netsafe for free and confidential advice seven days a week on 0508 NETSAFE, email [email protected] or visit


If you are worried about your or someone else’s mental health, the best place to get help is your GP or local mental health provider. However, if you or someone else is in danger or endangering others, call police immediately on 111.