Torbay School is a signatory to the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students and all agents and Foreign Fee Paying students must abide the Code to be enrolled at our school.
Below you will find details about the Code of Practice and links to the relevant organisations that can assist you. Copies of the Code are available from the New Zealand Ministry of Education website
Classrooms in the School are a combination of a single cell nature (1 teacher to 1 class) and FLE’s (Flexible Learning Environments). Class programmes are designed to meet the requirements of the National Curriculum Guidelines which all New Zealand schools are required to follow. This includes instruction in the seven essential learning areas: English, Mathematics, Social Studies, Science, Arts, Technology and Health & Physical Education.
Students will be given an orientation on their first day of school. Orientation will include:
- An introduction to the classroom teacher, the Principal or Deputy Principal
- An introduction to key Administrative staff and International Student liaison personnel
- Orientation to the school including the location of the health room and the toilets, where to hang school bags and where to eat lunch
- Introduction to the students’ New Zealand classroom
- Advice on school activities, including sports and music
- Students are mainstreamed in our general classes
- Specialised English support programmes are provided by a trained ESOL staff
- Support meetings for parents in your home language
- Inclusive welcoming learning environments